Monday, May 17, 2010
The first FF draft of 2010.
This is from my first 2010 draft.
It is an Experts draft for an upcoming magazine.
The format is 12-team, active free agency, no PPR, 16 man roster that starts:
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF (not special teams though).
Scoring is 3 pts Pa TD, 6 other TDs, 1 pt per 20 passing yds, 1 pt per 10 rushing or receiving yards, FGs are 3 pts, Defenses get 2 pts per sack and safety, 1 pt per turnover and 6 pts for DEF TDs.
I had the 2nd pick overall
Pos Name Bye Team Pick
QB Peyton Manning 7 IND R3 P2
QB Alex Smith 9 SF R14 P11
RB Adrian Peterson 4 MIN R1 P2
RB Brandon Jacobs 8 NYG R5 P2
RB Ahmad Bradshaw 8 NYG R6 P11
RB Reggie Bush 10 NO R8 P11
RB Leon Washington 5 SEA R11 P2
RB Toby Gerhart 4 MIN R12 P11
WR Roddy White 8 ATL R2 P11
WR Michael Crabtree 9 SF R4 P11
WR Steve Breaston 6 ARI R7 P2
WR Donnie Avery 9 STL R9 P2
WR Nate Burleson 7 DET R13 P2
TE Chris Cooley 9 WAS R10 P11
K Stephen Gostkowski 5 NE R15 P2
DEF Cincinnati Bengals 6 CIN R16 P11
1) Chris Johnson is the definite #1 and MJD or AP are tied for 2nd.
2) I took Peyton Manning too early. I like to grab a great QB in these expert leagues because they are not the highest thing on my To-DO list in mid season when I am managing family, work and a dozen money fantasy football leagues. This way I can plug in Manning and forget about start/bench decisions. You can wait on QB!
3) Speaking of waiting. There is so much depth at TE this year. Wait, wait, wait! Any of the top 13 TEs are workable. I love Chris Cooley with McNabb throwing to him in the 10th round with the 119th overall pick. Zach Miller went one before Cooley.
4) Go with youth at WR2 and WR3. There are some good 3rd year candidates out there. Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas and Davone Bess to name a few. Steve Breaston has a little more experience and moves into the #2 WR spot with the departure of Anquan Boldin. Leinarts QB play is the only question mark for Breaston.
5) If you get Adrian Peterson (with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick of the draft) you absolutely must handcuff him to Toby Gerhart. That is cheap insurance, based on AP's injury history, with the next to last pick in round 12.
6) The more I think about Leon Washington running for Pete Carroll in SEA the quicker I draft him. I reached for him here and I think that means I need to rank him higher.
Fantasy Football Tips: 201 Ways to Win through Player Rankings, Cheat Sheets and Better Drafting ($10.95 on sale for $8.95) www.amazon.com/dp/0982428669
Fantasy Football Guidebook (2nd Edition): Your Comprehensive Guide to Playing Fantasy Football ($19.95 on sale for $17.95) http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982428650
Fantasy Football Basics: The Ultimate "How to" Guide for Beginners available for Pre-Order at http://tinyurl.com/ykpxffh ($10.95, now just $7.38 32% off)
Fantasy Football Almanac 2010: Your Essential Fantasy Football Reference Guide. Order at http://tinyurl.com/3xh6oty ($10.95, now just $8.76 20% off)