Ok I know this is a fantasy sports blog-primarily football but here are some last minute tips for anyone filling out their 2014 NCAA Bracket.
1) Pick a winner first and advance them all the way to the winner circle. One of the most common mistakes when filling out a bracket is to NOT pick the overall winner. It is tricky because often the last game is not the same pick method or it is hidden a bit by the tie breaker. Hint pick a #1 seed as they have won about 15% of the time.
2) Turn in your bracket on time. Remember the play-in games on Tues and Wed are now the Round 1 games. Round 2 starts Thursday and that is when most brackets need to be entered before the first tip off Thursday.
3) The Top Seeds are top seeds for a reason. #1 seeds make the final four 40% of the time.
Number 2 seeds make the final four 23% of the time and...
Number 3 seeds make the final four 8% of the time
Number 4 seeds make it 6% (Number 6 do so 4%)
So pick two to three #1 seeds to advance and then add in a couple of #2 or #3 seeds. Have them win all their games into the final four. If you add up all the seeds in the final four you should not exceed seven as a rule of thumb.
4) Use the bookies to pick the winners of the close games-i.e the 8/9 seeds in Round 2.
5) Look for upsets in the 5/12 matchups and the 7/10 matchups. Do not pick a #1 seed to lose in their first game. They have never done so. Great I just jinxed my East #1 seed Virginia Cavaliers vs Coastal Carolina.
6) Only pick 6th or higher seeds to win in later rounds. Again the higher seeds usually win.
7) Look at home field advantage and momentum going into the tourney.
8) Play in all the free brackets-they are free and you never know. Speaking of which YAHOO has a Billion $ Bracket where if you get everything right (never been done before-chances are 1-128 Billion if you know what you are doing) you win a Billion dollars.
Go for it!
My 2014 Picks
Final Four: Florida, Villanova, Arizona and Duke (that's 7 if you are counting seeds)
In Championship: Duke beats Florida 78-74 (hey I am an ACC fan)
Upset picks: NC State wins two more games, UNC over Iowa State in next round.
Long shot: Manhattan (13) defeats Louisville (4)
Fantasy Football Tips (2nd Edition): 230 Ways to Win through Player Rankings, Cheat Sheets and Better Drafting ($12.95) www.amazon.com/dp/1936635151
Fantasy Football Guidebook (2nd Edition): Your Comprehensive Guide to Playing Fantasy Football ($19.95) http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982428650